Friday 19 September 2008

One of my favourite 'Motown' tracks

worldgreatestmusicdad writes:



If Grapevine is the greatest Motown track, Your Love Keeps Lifting Me is not far behind - though it may not strictly qualify as a Motown track even though the backing band were the Funk Brothers, Motown's house band. I first heard Jackie Wilson's unique vocals emanating from a jukebox in a transport cafe in the late fifties. I'm not certain now which tracks I first heard, but Lonely Teardrops would certainly have been one of them. Levi Stubbs is not the only distinctive artist to have inspired a song by another.

Jackie Wilson - Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher (iTunes)

Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops (iTunes)

Van Morrison - Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile) (iTunes)

No comments: