Tuesday 30 October 2007

country music death no. 1: Porter Wagoner


Porter Wagoner has died. I don't know Porter's own material that well but he helped bring Dolly Parton to America's attention and inspired her song I Will Always Love You - two amazing claims to fame as far as I'm concerned.

Dolly claims that Elvis Presley wanted to record I Will Always Love You but this fell through when Dolly refused to give up a share of the writing credit on the song. Maybe it was karma when, many years later, Whitney Houston made it one of the biggest hits of all time. Whitney or whoever did the vocal arrangement could have asked for a share of the writing in the new version because they add some wonderful melodies.


Porter Wagoner - I've Enjoyed As Much Of This As I Can Stand (iTunes)

Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You (iTunes)

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (iTunes)

No comments: