Thursday 28 June 2007

more on The Roches and The Wainwrights

Thanks to Clararama for pointing out that The Roches' song should actually be called If You Go Down To Hammond, not Heaven. That explains why there was only one reference to "If you go down to heaven" on Google (from someone else who mis-heard the lyric). A shame as "If you go down to heaven, you'll never come back/In my opinion you're on the wrong track" would have been a great lyric, like a more interesting take on Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton.

It could be argued that by starting my blog with a mis-heard lyric, I've already failed in my bid to create the best music blog in the world. I disagree. This will be the best music blog in the world because of the music linked to, not the quality of the research.

It also turns out that there's a link between the Roches and the Wainwrights - Lucy Wainwright Roche is the daughter of Suzzy Roche and Loudon Wainwright III. This is a good excuse to post my favourite recordings by Wainwright/McGarrigle family.

Rufus Wainwright - Go Or Go Ahead - iTunes or Amazon

Martha Wainwright - Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole (iTunes). If there's one thing even better than a really sad song, it's a really vitriolic song. Awesome vocal too. Written about her father Loudon so something of an answer record to I'd Rather Be Lonely.

Loudon Wainwright III - Primrose Hill (iTunes). If you end up destitute in London, I recommend living on the side of Primrose Hill, at least in summer. It's nice.

Kate & Anna McGarrigle - Matapedia (Amazon)

No comments: